This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

4.10.2012

"Make the Main Thing the Main Thing"

We got news yesterday that Ryan's "mission mom"—his mission president's wife—passed away yesterday. You'd think that since I wasn't in Ryan's mission with him that I wouldn't know her, but I do. And I wanted to tell you all a little bit about this wonderful lady I am so grateful to have known.

Us with the Egans at a mission reunion, 2009.
Ryan and I have spent our fair share of time at the Egan home, and we always felt welcome there. We had a “sleepover” there with two other married couples. (I remember vividly Sister Egan's attempt at humming "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" during Cranium, and President Egan having NO IDEA what song it was. It was so fun.) We watched a movie in their famous "baseball room." We enjoyed Labor Day braiis (a sort of African barbecue with more meat than is probably healthy). But today, there’s one memory that pulls most at my mind and my heart.

I had just learned I was pregnant, and because of a previous miscarriage I had received an ultrasound. When I did, there was no visible fetus. They said I was probably just not very far along and asked me to come back ten days later. Needless to say, I was an emotional wreck for the next ten days.

During that time—on April 4, 2011, to be exact—I asked Ryan to take me for a drive. He asked where I wanted to go, and I told him I wanted to see my parents or his, which I knew wasn't an option since they lived so far away. So I asked for the next best thing: “Do you think we could go to the Egans’?”

A while later we found ourselves at the Egan home along with two other former missionaries. I apologized repeatedly to Sister Egan for coming when they already had company. I remember she said, “When you go to your parents’ house, and your brother or sister is there, do you apologize?” I shook my head. “That’s how it is here. You’re all our kids.” I was glad the feeling was mutual.

I love this photo of President and Sister Egan from Ryan's mission files.
[Photo by Rick Egan (President Egan's brother), Salt Lake Tribune]
That night, after everyone else had gone home and it was just the four of us left, Ryan asked President Egan to go downstairs with him. He knew I needed time with Sister Egan. That I needed a mom.

I don’t remember everything about our conversation, but I do remember some things. I remember telling her I was afraid of miscarrying again. I told her I knew that faith was important, but that the purpose of faith wasn't to change God's will. Through it all, she listened carefully and told me the things I believe my Heavenly Father needed me to hear. She was like an angel that way.

I remember Sister Egan telling me some of her own fears about having cancer. About dying. She told me what she was learning about submitting her will to God’s. She told me to ask Heavenly Father what I was supposed to learn from the experience. Before I left, she shared with me the thing that helped her most when she was sad, lonely and afraid and asked me to do the same—to serve someone every day.

I felt bonded to Sister Egan that night. We were two women, faced with our own unique challenges, both trying with everything we had to have faith enough in God to accept His will for us. Today, that then-invisible fetus has become a healthy, beautiful little girl. Sister Egan has passed away. And I’m learning again that the best thing we can do with our agency is to give it to God.

I’m especially humbled by something President Egan said at a mission reunion when Ryan and I had been married for just a few months. He said something to the effect of, “We’ve always been impressed with our missionaries, but we’re even more impressed with the people they’ve chosen to marry.” Then he smiled and said, “We didn’t know there were so many Sister Egans around.” Everyone laughed, because they all knew that each of those missionaries wanted to marry someone just like her.

Sister Egan gave all the missionaries pills to prevent them from getting worms in South Africa. As the wife of one of those missionaries, I am SO GLAD she did.
I hope I can one day live up to that kind comparison. I’m not a Sister Egan yet. But I am trying. Trying to serve others and to always, as she said so often, "make the main thing the main thing."

I'm so glad I know what I do about death. That it's really just another beginning. Ryan's mission has a song they sing at each reunion, and I've been thinking a lot about the third verse and the way it relates to Sister Egan now:

When our call is at a finish and we leave the battlefield
Can we truly say it's over? Do we dare lay down our shields?
Once as soldiers we're enlisted in the army of our God
Do your duty; hold your head up; carry on!

I know the Spirit World is a place of rest. And I also know it's a place where missionary work happens. I'm so glad I know that Sister Egan can continue to do what makes her happy, even now—serve people there just as she did here.

I'll miss you, Sister Egan. Thank you, so much, for everything.

To learn more about what we believe, visit mormon.org.

15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this, it's beautiful. I loved reading of your experience with Sister Egan, she'll always be a hero of mine.

April 10, 2012 at 6:58 PM  
Blogger Danette Miller said...

Sounds like an amazing and strong wonan! Thanks for sharing part of her beautiful life with us. Her example makes me want to always strive to be better each day.

April 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

She sounds like a really awesome lady! I'm sorry for your loss. Andrew loves his "mission mom" as well.

April 10, 2012 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Sister Egan really was as amazing as you make her sound. She was so kind and gracious to us. I am so grateful that she was Ryan's Mission Mom. What a great example to all of their missionaries. It makes me think of Anne and Brent.

April 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this,she was really a great woman. I remember her coming to Namibia on visits being with the primary children and playing the piano. We will surely miss her

April 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger JeNnA said...

I am always amazed at your talent for writing. I love reading your blog no matter what its about. This was a touching memory written of a great lady!!!

April 11, 2012 at 5:17 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

Breanna, thank you so much for this post! I am Kathy's son and my dad just showed it to me in years - your words really touched him and me. I hope you won't mind that I've shared it on my Facebook account so my siblings and other relatives can see it. In just a few paragraphs you basically summed up my mother's life. Thank you so much for taking the time to write those words. We are touched! And I am so pleased that invisible fetus became a beautiful girl! Thank you! -Christian Egan

April 11, 2012 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

Sorry, that should have been that my dad showed it to me in "tears" not years.

April 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM  
Blogger Bob and Joyce Wold said...

What a VERY sweet tribute to my sister-in-law. Thank you!! I am Pres. Egan's little (and only) sister. We visited them in South Africa in March 2006. We KNOW how much they both LOVE their missionaries!!! Ü

Joyce Egan WOld
Mesa, AZ

April 11, 2012 at 8:57 PM  
Blogger Breanna said...

Christian, thank you so much for your comment. I hoped to share what I knew of the wonderful life she led, so I'm glad your family found it a fitting portrayal of her life. I hope those you share it with can remember her sweet spirit by it as well. Thank you for sharing your mother with us.

April 11, 2012 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger Wynette said...

I loved your post too! My son is a SACTM missionary and we were fortunate enough to share some very sweet times with Pres. and Kathy. " Make the main thing, the main thing" was up on our kitchen wall for a long time! She was a very bright spot in so many lives and I know I will deeply miss her.

April 11, 2012 at 9:57 PM  
Blogger Kelly M said...

Thanks Breanna for sharing these beautiful memories! I'm another of the Egan's daughters and loved this beautiful post. One thing we have all discussed over the past few days is how many people she has influenced in so many ways. It's fun to read how loved she is, even by people we as her children don't even know. Heaven has a fantastic new missionary!

Kelly Egan Mear

April 12, 2012 at 1:20 AM  
Blogger Betsy said...

Breanna, you summed it up beautifully. My mom was amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us.

Betsy Keller, Kathy's daughter

April 13, 2012 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Julie E. said...

Breanna, Thank you so much for this beautiful post! I first met Kathy over 22 years ago as a college freshman, far from home. Her home become my home, a place where I could feel peace and feel loved. There were times I didn't know how much I needed a mom like her and am eternally grateful that her son decided to let me be a part of this wonderful family 19 years ago. Your words about her were perfect.

Julie Egan

April 16, 2012 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

What a beautiful post. Sister Egan's daughter Kelly was in my ward for years, and I love her family - When her parents came to visit, I knew we were in wonderful company. My own mother passed away at nearly the same age 6 years ago, so I feel quite a bit of Kelly's pain... This was a wonderful tribute - I wish I could have known Sis Egan better, I'm thankful for the friend I have in Kelly...

April 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home