This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

6.06.2012

Half-Dead Squirrels and Other Animal Adventures

I am not an animal person.

I mean, it's not that I hate them. But I've never really had that X factor that draws people to animals. I'll pet my brothers' dogs, but I can't bring myself to touch anything else until I've washed my hands. My in-laws have beautiful horses, but (wouldn't you know it?) I'm allergic to them. Cats shed hair everywhere (and I just VACUUMED) and I essentially live in fear of hitting a deer, finding a mouse in the house, hitting a squirrel with the car or being ambushed a la Alfred Hitchcock's Birds.

If animals keep their distance, I'm good. But my personal space expands by about ten times when any sort of animal is around. That's why I stiffen up when big dogs come sniff me or there's a bird in the house.

It's also why leaving my apartment now requires the mental preparation of an Olympic luge athlete.

A week or so ago, Ryan, Lyla and I were walking from the parking lot to our apartment and (as usual) I was in the middle of some elaborate story. Then, I happened to glance at the ground where I was about to step. And I saw the saddest, most disgusting, most disturbing thing I've ever laid eyes on—a dead squirrel, laying on its side being picked at by maggots. My foot dangled in mid-step six inches above it.

This squirrel looks much happier than the one I saw. He's probably just happy to be alive.
Image source
So I did the only thing I could do. I ran away like a crazy person, gagging and trying in vain to forget the image that had been immediately branded itself on my brain. I felt sick for several minutes. Ryan laughed and laughed.

After that, it was like a flood of weird animal escapades. Ryan came home with this news a few days later: "I was coming in and I saw a half-dead squirrel—I mean, no, it was all the way dead. But only half of it was there, so I guess a half—half of a dead squirrel."

A day or two later the grounds crew pulled a FIVE FOOT SNAKE out of the bushes at our complex.

The snake probably looked nothing like this. But it was, in fact, a snake.
Image source
A woman at church said she found her cat dead after being mauled by some sort of wild animal—"Probably a coyote or a bobcat." What the heck is going on here?!

Image source
I felt a piece of dirt on the side of my foot walking through the grass the other day, and my immediate reaction was to scream and kick my shoe off. Ryan looked concerned. Maybe I should be too.

I guess the reality is that we don't live in the Icelandic tundra of the western United States anymore, so all animal life doesn't die off every winter. And that makes for some pretty weird stuff. If I don't come back after going to check the mail, you'll know why. Wish me luck.

5 Comments:

Blogger gelly said...

Loved this post! Truth be told, I love them all, but I laughed out loud at the thought of you screaming and kicking your shoe off because of a piece of dirt. I do that with anything that even remotely resembles a spider. My little boy cries when I kill spiders. What's up with that?

June 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Haha I love this. The other day I found a tiny dead mouse in our garage, Scott quickly cleaned it up after he witnessed me go hysterical on him, but I have since avoided using the house entrance to the garage where the mouse was located, I will go out the front door and all the way around just to avoid the scene of the crime, that dead little rodent has left permanent damage to my system.

June 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Bre - we are too alike! I feel the exact same way about animals. Too bad my husband wants a farm and a ranch.. we're still figuring out how to manage that. But very fun post! Laughed out loud about Ryan and the squirrel. That is hilarous and extremely disgusting all in one. :)

June 6, 2012 at 10:58 PM  
Blogger JeNnA said...

Oh my gosh I am the EXACT same way. I don't HATE the dang things (animals) but definitely don't care for them. I also stiffin up and I hate touching them and will try never too. But if I have to then I also won't touch anything else until hands are watched. We have 7 chickens and Brynn wants me to pet them.... its always with like the very very tip of 1 or 2 fingers. We're awesome! Cute post!

June 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM  
Blogger Jenn J. said...

This gene must run in the family. You'd never guess we have real life farmers in our not-so-distant heritage.

But beware. One day you'll be outside carrying in the groceries with a little, toddling Lyla and you'll come across something just like this. You will BEG her not to touch it but she won't listen. And when she touches it you'll gasp, then gag, and then run to the nearest sink as fast as your little feet will carry you. Then just as you arrive at the sink you'll notice her chewing on her fingers. And you'll gag again. Mark my words.

Also, may I suggest keeping her away from the bobcats that are apparently just roaming around your neighborhood??

June 8, 2012 at 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home