This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

7.16.2012

Amateur Ska and Other Musical Memories

It was like 17 Again, or maybe Freaky Friday or Peggie Sue Got Married, except without the time travel or body switching. A few weeks ago I went back to high school, but it was mostly in my head and completely accidental.

I was choosing a playlist as I walked up the stairs at the gym and somehow activated the shuffle feature.  And the next thing I knew, I was mentally transported back seven years and I was back in Idaho, younger, slimmer, watching Battle of the Bands with my best friend Laura. And I have a photo to prove it.

Idaho Falls Battle of the Bands, circa 2005
I couldn't help but smile listening to the lyrics that seemed so articulate and soul-searching at the time. 2 Fat 2 Fly was a band some of my guy friends formed, and going to their shows was one of my girlfriends and my favorite pastimes. We made shirts. We learned the songs. Bless my heart, we even bought those CDs and put them on our iPods. And apparently, they stayed.

2 Fat 2 Fly shirt made with iron-on paper, a CD jacket photo and $5 Walmart white shirt. That guy was the bassist.
I was surprised (but really, not that surprised) to find I still knew the words to all the songs and, in many cases, the story behind them. "Hot Fudge Sundae" included the ingenious parallels between the door at Dairy Queen and a broken relationship ("I've been pushing for so long, now it's time to face the truth: It's a pull door"). The small town of Rigby, which was home to our high school rivals the Rigby Trojans (and as a side note, my future husband), was cleverly disguised in lyrics as "The Land of Trojans." Soooo sneaky. And who could forget the lovely imagery in "Don't Sweat It"? ("What am I ever gonna do about this little thing my armpits do? It's like having a water fight with myself every time I see you.") Classic.

I felt a little nostalgic listening to my favorite amateur ska and thought of those band members and friends I use to go to shows with. Most of us are married, and many of us have children of our own. I thought, "Those were the days. Music truly has a powerful effect on invoking memories." Then, the more piercing and productive question came to mind: "What new memories am I making?"

My answer came when I was finished at the gym and got back in the car and heard my new favorite song on the radio. "What Makes You Beautiful" immediately took me back to a couple weeks before we moved to Texas, when I blasted this song in our little half-packed apartment and danced with Lyla, changing each "You" in the song to "Lyla." She giggled and Ryan laughed. I think of it every time the song comes on.

There are other gems on my iPod, too. This Diamond Rio classic puts me right back in Ryan's old Honda Accord when we were dating, when he somehow got me to love country music with his personal rendition of "Unbelievable." I pretended in my mind that he was singing about me. Looking back, I think he might have been. And we all know the story behind this song.

My brother Matt use to sing this song in the kitchen while swing dancing with me. I was really little at the time, but I can't hear this song anymore without thinking of him. When I was a little older, my dad and I would ruthlessly tear this song apart. (How could a car be STALLED on RAILROAD TRACKS?!) We hate it, but I love the memories of it.

I don't usually ask you readers questions on the blog, but I'm curious—what songs bring back specific memories for you?

6 Comments:

Blogger Charlotte said...

Did I ever tell you about the time I got my 1984 Volkswagen Rabbit stuck on abandoned train tracks in high school, and firefighters just happened to see my predicament and came and pushed me out? I know.

N*SYNC takes me all the way back to tweenhood. Eric Clapton, Hall and Oats, and Switchback (so ecelctic) take me back to high school. John Mayer's Continuum album brings me to college as a freshman and Josh Kelley to college as a sophomore. Journey's "Faithfully" always reminds me of Josh (his favorite love song), and without fail Sting makes me close to my dad, bringing back memories from childhood through recent adult(ish)hood.

PS Thank you so much for your comment on my last post. It was probably one of the most helpful and encouraging pieces of advice I've received. And you're right--I get lots of unsolicited advice, but when advice comes along and it's just what I've been looking for, I'm so, so glad for it. So, thanks.

July 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Asrp34 said...

I have a long list of songs that take me "somewhere", True Colors, takes me to Chicago. Any Hanson song takes me to my best friends house, room covered in Hanson and Nsync photos. Lord I Will Follow Thee, going churchy, reminds me of my mission president that passed away. Those are just a few :)

July 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger Camille said...

I'm still laughing about the Unbelievable reference. Has Ryan ever told you how I would make him sing that with me in my old Honda until he knew all the words? He acted super annoyed, but I guess he secretly loved it.

I knew it. ;-)

July 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

James Taylor takes me back to folk dance tour my senior year at BYU-Idaho. Colors reminds me of Scroll and Bonnie. Indigo Girls, U2, Tracey Chapman - all scrollie memories.

P.S. I've changed my blog ... I am blogging now at www.keepmovingforwardwithme.com

July 16, 2012 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Every time I hear Dave Barnes' "Until You," it brings me back to my wedding dance -- and Steve Holy's "Good Morning, Beautiful" reminds me of a time when Andrew picked me up and drove me to work because my car was broken, and he had picked that song out for me.

Also, I can't remember if I've told you this or not, but I've changed my blog URL like Tara above as well. The new address is love-lindsay-wilcox.blogspot.com. Can't believe how big Lyla is getting!

July 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM  
Blogger Jacob Divett said...

Counting Crows makes me think of high school. All American Rejects make me think of when I just got home from the mission. So many more! There's not enough space here.

August 1, 2012 at 12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home