This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

1.11.2011

Pop-you-oo-lar

My friend Kaitlin posted something on Facebook today that got me thinking: "I need book recommendations. I'm not talking about popular fiction but something that I will learn from, something I can sink my teeth into. Any suggestions?"

Well you can bet I jumped on that like a rat on a Cheeto. Someone's asking about books? When that happens, I feel a little bit like George McFly finally getting to talk about aliens. It's my secret nerdiness, my one true passion. That and my KitchenAid. But I digress.

But something about her post bothered me, and it took me a while to put my finger on it. It was the implication that something popular, by definition, isn't something you can learn from or sink your teeth into. But the "popular" books that I've read have been the ones I've learned from and sunk my teeth into. I'd even venture to say that the more a book made me think, the more popular it was.

I can't even tell you how much Hunger Games was on my mind (or how much I learned from it, for that matter). Bestsellers are bestsellers for a reason, right? And blockbusters? With few exceptions, everything that's been really popular—the best stories with the most complex characters, the most entertaining movies, the best athletes—has been really, really good.

I know there are flaws in my thinking, but I really believe it. With a few exceptions (one of which is haunting me as I write this), books become popular because they are good. That's not to say that all good books are bestsellers, but if that's the case, aren't the ones that make the list that much better?

So I gave Kaitlin what she asked for: a suggestion for a book that isn't necessarily popular today. But it was popular once, and for good reason, too.

As a side note, a good portion of the recommendations Kaitlin got were quintessential popular books. And I want to read most of them.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

I 100% agree. Which is why I think the current anti-trend trend is a little silly, but oh well! There are a reason things are popular- it's because they are Actually really good!

January 11, 2011 at 11:07 PM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

1. I completely agree. We've had the HP discussion before.
2. I really want to read The Help.
3. I share in this nerdiness.
And 4. I love your title. I can hear the song in my head.

January 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger Cali said...

Three of my favorites I'm thinking of have all be populars...
Just tell her to re-read - nothing wrong with that! I've read the hunger games a couple of times, and the Help is one of the best I've read in a long time. Loved it. The Book Thief: I've been meaning to read it again, I think it will be my 7th or 8th reading of that one. I fall in love with the characters every time.

January 12, 2011 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I have to admit, I fall into the "I don't want to read it because everyone else is reading it..." all the time. I feel like I want to read books because they sound interesting not because EVERYONE is telling me to read them. (So I've never read Twilight or the Hunger Games ... Twilight doesn't sound interesting at all, and I'll probably read the Hunger Games after the hype dies down.) But I do love reading books that used to be popular, or going through award lists and reading those books. Award lists are always a great place to find a good read.

January 12, 2011 at 3:43 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

That post bothered me, too. The Harry Potter books and other popular books I've read have so much to teach us about humanity. In fact, most of the popular books I've read have taught me something. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

January 12, 2011 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger Jenn J. said...

"It's about time you got your head out of those books and pay attention to more important things... like me." [girls gushing in the background] I love you, your nerdiness, and the title of this post.

January 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM  
Blogger Jenn J. said...

Speaking of the title of this post, the other day I saw a womens choir singing this song on TV. It was... weird. Somehow I dont think it was written as a choral piece.

January 14, 2011 at 1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home