This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

8.04.2012

Sisters



Some people call different people for different things. Like, you might call one person when you want to laugh, another when you want serious advice, and someone else when you want to get something off your chest. In general, though, my sister gets calls from me for all of the above (lucky her!).

In fact, I was going to write this post yesterday afternoon but I was on the phone with her. In a way, that tells you everything you need to know about Jenny and me. It's her birthday today, and I've been thinking all day about what I could say about her. But as I've gotten older Jen and I have grown closer, and at this point it's difficult to choose just one memory to share.

Jenny and me, fall 1989
The four oldest children in my family are boys, and Jennifer came fifth. She was the youngest for almost 10 years before I was born. But even with a gap, we're the two youngest in the family, the only girls, and pretty darn good friends. 

I started calling my sister on the phone regularly when I was probably a year or so into college. She was married and had two children at the time, but she was still the closest person to me who had been in my position recently enough to remember it clearly. I can't even tell you how many times I called her with a school or dating crisis that she talked me through, mostly by telling me how insignificant it really was. I seem to remember her saying "Just don't worry about it so much" a lot.


She was a good balance for me in those anxiety-stricken years. Jenny and I are similar in a lot of ways--our eyes, I'm told, are similar, and our high foreheads and face shapes. (Our hair is also frequently the same color, but that has more to do with our preferences in the salon than genetics.) But we are different in a lot of ways, and I think that's what helps us get along so well. 

We chose different fields of study in school, but we are both stay-at-home mothers. I love to read and she does not, but we both love watching The Bachelorette. We both love dressing up our children in cute clothes and painting our daughters' toenails. I like asking questions about motherhood; she likes (or at least doesn't mind) answering them. We talk on the phone almost every day.

Mom, Jenny and me five days before I had Lyla.
But when it comes to choosing memories to relate--where do I begin? I stayed at her house multiple times before flying out of the SLC airport. Her kids love Lyla. Jenny and I video chat at least once a week. I was the maid of honor at her wedding; she was the matron of honor at mine. We once drove to Idaho without a driver's side window, and we stopped in Ogden to "fix" the packing tape that was doubling as glass. I drove to her house at 1 a.m. to babysit her older children when her third was born. She gives Lyla the best hand-me-downs. I went shopping with her and my mom when I was 37 weeks pregnant, and I firmly believe that put me into labor (don't worry--I still carried full term). We laugh a lot when we're together, because we both think we're really, really funny.

But, really. We're totally funny. Obvy. (And we say words like "totally" and "obvy" a lot.)


But to get to the point of all this: Marilyn Monroe said, "The [friends] that stay with you through everything, they're your true best friends. Don't let go of them. Also remember, sisters make the best friends in the world." So I guess that's what I'm trying to say here--you hear that, Jen? You make the best friend in the world.

Happy birthday, Sis!

3 Comments:

Blogger Charlotte said...

Oh how I love sisters! I love them so, so much.

August 4, 2012 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Jenn J. said...

First things first, this is the nicest. post. EVER. Written by the nicest sister ever, obvy. :) Thanks so much! You just made my birthday even better.

We do need to talk about the photos you posted, however. Mainly the first one and that one where we're at lunch with mom. That's the second photo I've seen of myself wearing that green sweater where I look like I weigh well over 500 pounds. It may be time to retire that sweater. (Yes, I'm blaming the sweater-- and so will you, because you're a good sister.)

Here are a few other points I'd like to address:

1. I love our phone calls. They are some of the best parts of my day, and not just because they make housework more bearable.

2. I may still have to tell you to "stop thinking about it so much" at times, but the cool thing is, you have to tell me that sometimes too. Our different anxieties seem to balance each other out.

3. Blast those high foreheads.

4. The window incident will go down in history as one of my all time favorite moments. I wouldn't have laughed that hard if I had been with anyone else, and I still believe no one else who hears that story truly thinks it's as funny as we do-- but then, I think that's part of what makes it so great. "Here we are at Toads, just making a new window..."

5. We really are super funny.

6. You're a great sister and best friend. Thanks for the nice post!

August 4, 2012 at 11:19 PM  
Blogger Lylene said...

The two cutest girls ever. I love you both and love that you love each other.

August 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home