This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

6.23.2013

Becoming Monotony

It's Sunday night and Ryan said he was tired. I asked if he wanted to go to bed early tonight. He said no. Then he fell asleep on the floor, face-down on a throw pillow.

Maybe there's only so much significant life change the human soul can endure before it forces you into living room narcolepsy.

But his impromptu nap gives me some post-bedtime quiet time to kill, which is nice sometimes. It gives me time to reflect and process things—something an extrovert like me has trouble doing sometimes. As I look back on the week, one lesson pushes itself to the front of my mind and begs to be shared.

That lesson is this: When we start to feel like things are becoming routine—that life is just one constant cycle of get-up-do-your-work-go-to-bed-repeat—it might be a sign that you're figuring out how to do the things God has assigned to you. It might signify you're ready to take on more in your life, that your capacities are expanding.

A couple nights ago I climbed into bed, exhausted from what I viewed as the monotonous life of a stay-at-home mother. "I just don't feel like I'm getting anywhere," I said to Ryan. "It's like no matter how well I do something, I have to do it again tomorrow. No matter how many times I pick up Lyla's toys, no matter how delicious our dinner is, no matter how much writing I finish, I still have to get up tomorrow and do the same thing over again."

"Yes," Ryan said. Then in his wise-beyond-his-years way, he added, "But think how hard it used to be for you to do all that, back when you were just starting."

So I did. I remembered the first few times I found myself picking up Lyla's toys, after she was big enough to make a mess. If I thought hard enough, I could remember being a newlywed with a fully stocked kitchen, a crock pot and no idea what to feed myself and my new husband. Cooking dinner, cleaning a house, taking care of a toddler—they were all things that used to be so difficult for me. And now I was calling them boring?

I felt a little better. Then I felt a little flutter in my stomach—a flutter that gets stronger and more constant every day. And I realized that when the future seems scary (How in the world am I going to take care of TWO babies?), I can look back on how far I've come and realize it's probably doable.

I'm still a work in progress, and the boredom is probably a sign that it's time for me to take on some new challenges. But it's still nice to observe progress, even if it takes a couple monotonous days for me to recognize it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Baird said...

What great thoughts! I know what you mean about life being monotonous sometimes. I was just going through one of those phases a couple months ago. I am going to remember your post next time one of those phases pop up again. So inspiring, Breanna! P.S. Funny memory--remember that one time when we randomly saw each other at Disneyland in California? What were the chances of that happening? I thought that was awesome.

June 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger Samantha Murphey said...

Great post. :)

June 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger JeNnA said...

I love this post!!! I feel like this all. the. time. I guess its time for me to have more babies ;) or maybe go back to school... things I have often thought about... but maybe its time to actually do!

June 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM  
Blogger Breanna said...

Sarah, I do remember that! I actually think of it whenever I read your blog (love it, btw!) and remember how funny it was.

June 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger Breanna said...

Thanks :)

June 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger Breanna said...

Jenna, I know the feeling! I get ideas for new projects and things all the time, but it's sometimes hard to know what to pursue right away. It's a challenge but a fun one!

June 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home