This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

7.21.2013

31 Weeks: Improvements


Last week was a transitionary one. We went from "This will all be okay in a couple days" to "It's going to be a long road." Ryan gave me a blessing of healing in addition to the blessing of comfort he gave me a few days earlier. And I stopped longing so much for home and started hoping for little Nora to stay put as long as possible.

That's her name. Nora. We weren't going to put it out there until she was born, but we've been praying for her by name and calling her by name and it's made a difference in all this. "Baby" just isn't the same. So Nora it is.

On Tuesday I had a magnesium treatment that made me pretty sick. If a mother is given a magnesium treatment before a baby is born prematurely, the child has greater neuro-protection after birth. I'd feel like I had the flu for 24 hours but my baby's risks for cerebral palsy would drop dramatically. Easy choice.

But along with the treatment came stronger, heavier contractions and I was kind of a wreck by the time Friday's ultrasound came around. I knew there was a chance I could go home, but I was so concerned for Nora and so sure things had gotten worse that I hardly thought of home. I just hoped I wouldn't be wheeled straight from the perinatologist's office to Labor and Delivery when it was all over.

The results? There is some improvement. Improvement! The goal was twofold: longer cervix, shorter funnel. The cervix was the same length precisely (not shorter!) and the funnel was 6 mm shorter. Horray!

I'm still here for 10 more days at least ("We'll reevaluate when you get to 32 weeks, and maybe I can fight for you to go home," the perinatologist told me.) but to be honest I'm just so relieved all this working that I wasn't terribly torn up.

There have been a lot of improvements this week.

Improvements in baby's situation. I couldn't believe my ears when they told me things were actually improving. We can do this!

Mom's here. Praise the heavens, my mother is in town. That woman is an absolute saint. She arrived on a one-way ticket to Dallas, bought us some Quiznos, smothered Lyla with hugs, stocked the fridge and freezer and sent Ryan off to the hospital for date night the minute she got here. Words cannot express the relief I feel. Lyla can stay in her own home with Grandma every day now. Ryan won't have to do so much around the house. I'll have a friend to visit and bring Lyla to me. Moms are the best.

31 weeks along. Which is longer than 30. And longer than 29, which I was when I got here. They say every day in the womb is equal to three days in the NICU. So we plan on keeping her cooking for a good long time.

Improvements in hospital routine. Most of the nurses know me by now. Getting through the daily routine of medications/monitoring/water refills/more medications/more monitoring is easier when you know the nurses. They also give me more privacy now than they used to, which I appreciate.

More to do. Freelance work is increasing and my book is progressing well. I'm also getting really good at Sudoku (thanks to a care package from my sweet sister). I've also listened to about a thousand amazing General Conference talks. In short, life in the hospital is becoming more normal, more routine, more doable.

So I'll be here until at least next Monday, but with Mom at home and hope that things are getting better, this week is already shaping out to be better than last. We're holding on and looking forward to good things to come—namely, sweet baby Nora.


3 Comments:

Blogger Lylene said...

Oh, I love you guys! Improvement and a sweet, healthy baby girl and mama is what I seek.

July 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Bre! I am so sad you are stuck in the hospital, that would be the pits! I feel like just being there for 2 days with a newborn is a long time. We are praying for you and baby Nora (love the name btw). I was wondering if what you have is an incompetent cervix? One of my young women leaders had that with all 5 of her pregnancies and spent 2-5 months on bed rest during each pregnancy! I can't imagine. Hope hospital life is okay, and I hope the food isn't too bad! Hope things get better soon, and I Really hope Nora doesn't have to spend time in the NICU! Thanks for your positive outlook on life, it encourages me to be a better person :)

July 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM  
Blogger Breanna said...

Hey Nic! I actually asked my doctor that very question, and she said that I don't have exactly what people diagnose as an incompetent cervix, because it held up with Lyla and was pretty strong until just a couple weeks ago. But she also said that there is a "level of incompetency" to my cervix, and that many treatments for incompetent cervix could also benefit me in future pregnancies. I'm sorry to hear your YW leader had such a hard time. I'm hoping that more precautions next time can make the next pregnancy(ies) better. Thanks for your love and concern!

July 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home