This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

7.13.2013

A New Goal

First of all, I want to thank you for all the love and support you've sent our way since the last post. We have the best friends and family in the world, and we can feel your prayers working. Thank you for your love, and keep the prayers coming!

Well, guys, I was a lot more excited about keeping you all updated when I thought we'd have good news.

I woke up Friday morning to my doctor knocking on my door. It was time for my ultrasound, even though it wasn't scheduled until 10:30.

"They can get you in early!" she said. "Let's see if we can get you out of here."

Most recent ultrasound photo of the cute little reason for all this fuss. 

She explained that if the scan showed any remnants of that funneling we saw or if there was no improvement in the cervix length, I'd be in for another week. But she seemed positive and confident that wouldn't be the case, so so was I.

But it was the case. Everything looked just the same as it had four days ago.

------------------

I cried when I got back to my room.

The only thing worse than being told I had to stay was calling and telling Ryan so. We had talked the night before about how nice it would be for me to be home. My nurses had said goodbye and my doctor had prepared my discharge orders, which were now probably being shredded somewhere.

The CNA came in and quickly changed my sheets while I broke the news to my mom on the phone. I cried when they left me alone on those sheets—the sheets that mocked me and my hopes of leaving the bed behind for good.

My doctor was busy the rest of yesterday but came in to see me this afternoon. She seemed measured and cautious—much different than she did on Tuesday.

"We have a new goal," she said. "We need to get you to 34 weeks. We might have to keep you in the hospital until then, depending on how things go."

Thirty-four weeks? When I came in we were sure I'd go full term.

The ultrasound, it seemed, and taken her by surprise. She had thought my situation was a simple case of preterm labor. But the results of the scan suggested that my problem is bigger than that—that it's perhaps more anatomical than situational.

She told me things we could do over the next few weeks to slow down labor. She mentioned precautions we can take on my next pregnancy to try to strengthen my cervix. She assured me that I had done nothing wrong. She said we should plan on facing this situation with the rest of our pregnancies.

And as for why I didn't experience this with Lyla? Well, I probably did—it just wasn't as early and I just didn't know it. Even though I was dilated at 36 weeks, we didn't catch it.

-----------------------

I'm still processing all this. I've been so sure I would go full term that it's a bit of a paradigm shift to hear that we're shooting for 34 weeks. For reference, I'll be 30 weeks tomorrow.

On one hand, I know how fortunate I am. There is a woman on my floor right now, pregnant with triplets at 24 weeks and in preterm labor. I'm sure she would love to be safely at 30 weeks. But I'm still a bit confused about why we're considering 34 weeks a "goal" when I'm not having multiples and I've had a successful full-term pregnancy before.

But for all the questions I have, one thing I've learned is that uncertainty only illuminates what I do know. My heart and mind have naturally turned to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ more over the last few days than they did before. I've remembered blessings I've received. And in the quiet of bed rest, it's a little easier to hear the whisperings of the Spirit.

I know God has a plan for our family and for our sweet little girl. I know He has a plan for exactly how she will get here—I've known that for a long time. And I know this will all work out how He needs it to, no matter what the doctors and I do. That's comforting to me.

10 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you have to stay longer in the hospital. Good luck and my prayers will continue to be with you.
I also want you to know that your strength and testimony are an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing them on your blog. :)

July 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger mari said...

My heart breaks for you. I am so glad you are being watched so closely though. Get this little one here as healthy as possible. Our prayers are with you. Stay strong.

July 13, 2013 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger DIY&How said...

Bre, I know less about pregnancy than probably anyone else who reads this, but please know you're in my prayers too.

July 13, 2013 at 11:48 PM  
Blogger McKenzie said...

I have been thinking of you and praying for you and I will continue. You can do this.

July 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM  
Blogger tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Seu testemunho e fé vão te deixar confiante em que tudo é como a vontade de DEUS,ELE é contigo.Orações.Fique bem.

July 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM  
Blogger Heidi Tanner said...

Oh no! It is hard when things don't go a expected or hoped, but thank heaven for modern medicine and the warning signs they have now to get babies here safely! We are thinking and praying for you!

July 14, 2013 at 12:25 PM  
Blogger Stacey C. said...

I know how hard all of this can be. With each of my three kids I was in bed rest, and each time it started earlier and was longer. First kid it was two months, next it was three, and this last one I was on bed rest for four entire months, and they still all ended up being preemie and spending time in the NICU.

Doing nothing really is one of the hardest things to do. You guys will be in my prayers. And when you finally do get to hold a healthy, sweet little baby it will all be worth it.

July 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger JeNnA said...

Gosh you are a strong women! You are in my prayers. Thinking of you!

July 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM  
Blogger daMomma said...

Bre - Hang in there, you are a tough girl and you can do this. Your end goal is a healthy momma and a healthy baby. Write down all those questions and ask your doctor to explain it to you, even if they have before. Sometimes you only hear a little when they say something like "34 weeks" you kind of don't hear anything else. You can do it!! We are rooting for you. From this old labor nurse -- stay down, mind your nurses and stay pregnant a few more weeks. Love to you all. Karen

July 22, 2013 at 9:48 PM  
Blogger SVETA AND TIM BARTHOLOMEW said...

Breanna, our prayers are with you! I am glad you are home now and you can definitely make it longer. it is great that they found it earlier and not in the last stages. 34 weeks is the mark for late preemies that most of the time don't need to go to NICU. I was 33 weeks when I suddenly started contracting like crazy and bleeding, I was so scared and we don't even have the insurance! At the hospital they were able to stop my labor but I still was dilated to 4 cm. In 2 days they let me go and since they didn't tell me to have strict bad rest I delivered our second baby at 34 weeks coming to the hospital at 9 cm. You are in good hands!! You have a constant doctor who cares for you and a family close by - they will take care of you! Just stay positive!!

August 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home