This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

7.02.2013

Recent Reading List

I love to read, but I've found myself in a bit of a slump lately. I struggle to get through even a chapter of Harry Potter without getting distracted. (I know. I know. Even Harry.)

I think my reading mojo was hijacked by my family's shortest member. What I've lacked in motivation to read she's more than made up for. I've read a lot of children's books lately, and they all end with a high-pitched "Again?"

But even in my inability to read a book beyond 24 pages, I'm determined to contribute to the reading community. So I had to put together some reviews of my more recent reads.

Key: 
5 stars—We love it! So cute. 4 stars—We like it. It's pretty good. 3 stars—Meh. 2 stars—No high-pitched "Again?" from either of us 1 star—What the what?

We're Going on a Bear Hunt
Lyla's rating: 3 stars. Mom's rating: 1 star.

I thought this book was adorable—at first.

Then I noticed that every other page has the same two stanzas repeated. "We're going on a bear hunt. We're going to catch a big one. What a beautiful day! We're not scared."

Discussion questions: Are we going on a bear hunt? Are we going to catch one? What's the weather like? Are we scared?

Then some horrible obstacles come along. Long, wavy grass. A swirling, whirling snowstorm. Thick, oozy mud. The author establishes that you can't go over it, can't go under it, so (Oh no!) you have to go through it. (Why? Why not around it?)

(SPOILER ALERT) Eventually, we find the elusive bear. Hurrah!

But apparently we didn't actually want to "catch a big one" at all. We hightail it back to the house while being chased by the bear we've borne snow and wind and mud to find. In the end, we swear to NEVER GO ON A BEAR HUNT AGAIN.

Moral of the story: It's best to set goals you don't really want to reach and to put yourself in mortal danger in doing so. Also, it's okay to disturb hibernating animals and toddlers can definitely outrun bears.

Green Eggs and Ham
Lyla's rating: 2 stars. Mom's rating: 5 stars.

A hypnotist once came to my high school's breakout party and brought a group of teenagers to tears by suggesting to them that this book had changed their lives.

I wasn't part of that group. But this book has brought this pregnant lady to tears more than once.

The main character just doesn't like Sam, which leads him to automatically dislike Sam's green eggs and ham. He will not eat them here or there or anywhere, not in a house, not with a mouse, not in the rain, not on a train.

But bless his little heart, that Sam I Am is undeterred. Maybe out of love, maybe out of sheer desire for his well-being, maybe out of pure frustration he begs: "You do not like them / So you say / Try them! Try them and you may! / Try them and you may, I say."

And what do you know? He likes them! "I do so like green eggs and ham! / Thank you, thank you, Sam I Am!"

By now I'm usually dabbing at the corners of my eyes with newfound joy in missionary work. Lyla is usually bored to death because it took soooo long to get there. Her attention span is still a little lacking (she's not even two yet, people).

You will like this book, I say. Try it! Try it and you may. Try it and you may, I say.

There's a Wocket in My Pocket
Lyla's rating: 5 stars. Mom's rating: 4 stars.


When I read this book I want to get out my Lysol wipes and toilet scrubber. The poor little boy's house has been left in such disarray for so long that they don't just have cockroaches and fruit flies like normal slobs. This house has managed to generate entirely new species of pests, like a Nink in the sink and Nupboards in the cupboards.

But when I try to see past the lack of sanitation involved with a Nooth Grush on your tooth brush, it's a cute little book. Lyla loves the rhymes and is getting good at pointing out the Wasket in the basket and all the cute creatures in the cellar.

Dr. Seuss, you get me every time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

"What the what?" haha Love it. That sure happens often with some library books we get. (Especially ones Abigail picks out...)

July 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home