This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

7.11.2013

The Unexpected

I'm writing today from a hospital bed. I've been here for three days but it's still surreal, mainly because I feel like there is absolutely nothing wrong with me.

My view these days. Grow, baby, grow!
I woke up on Monday morning feeling wonderful. We had just enjoyed a fabulous Fourth of July weekend, complete with plenty of good friends and barbecue. We've been settled in our home for weeks and Lyla, the book and I were getting along swimmingly. Finally, I thought that morning, things are calm. 

The calm before the storm, I think they call it.

I had a routine doctor appointment on Tuesday that I honestly thought would be 20 minutes, in and out. I tried to think of questions for the doctor on my way but I sincerely had none. I was rounding into my 30th week of pregnancy, feeling great and exercising regularly. I had felt no painful contractions, just a few Braxton Hicks that made me smile with daydreams of our sweet girl's arrival.

Warning: While I promise to keep this tasteful, we are talking about childbirth. If you're uncomfortable with the word "cervix," you might want to stop here. But I promise that's the only thing I'll mention.

When I got there, the ultrasound technician showed me a problem on the scan—funneling, she called it. She said the doctor wouldn't be happy about it.

She wasn't.

My doctor—who frequently has several patients ahead of me and can take half an hour to see for a routine appointment—followed me from the ultrasound room to the exam room without letting the nurses in to check my blood pressure first. She sat down and said, "I need to make this fast, because someone is waiting for a C-section right now. Your cervix is shortening very quickly. You need to come to the hospital."

"Okay," I said. "By when? Tomorrow? Do you need to run some more tests?"

"If you didn't have your daughter here, I'd tell you to follow me there right now. We need to get you on monitors. You need medication. You're having contractions and we need to get them stopped." I tried to process the news, but it continued in a jumbled mix of medication names and dosages for me and the baby that we couldn't possibly need because I felt fine.

"Okay," I said, confused but willing. "Will I see you when I get over there?"

"I hope so. If not tonight, definitely first thing in the morning."

"I'll be there overnight?"

"Several nights. On Friday, we'll do another ultrasound and see if the cervix has lengthened and the funneling has stopped. If it hasn't, we'll keep you longer. If it is—and you're not going to like this—you'll go home and be on strict bed rest until you're 37 weeks. That's almost eight weeks from now." She looked at Lyla. "That isn't going to be easy. It's time for you to call in the troops. Can you get help?"

I nodded. I was sure I could, but it all seemed like ... a lot.

"They'll be waiting for you in High-Risk OB. Get some things together at home and go over to the hospital as soon as you can." She looked at me for a moment. "Are you okay? What are you thinking?"

I wasn't think much of anything. "I should have washed my hair this morning."

And with that feeble reassurance of my fragile mental state, the doctor smiled and left the room. I looked down at my baby—my sweet 19-and-a-half-month-old baby, who I would now carry to the car one last time before she turned 22 months old.


--------------

I cried when I put Lyla in her car seat.

"I'm not going to be able to take care of you for a while, Baby," I told her. She looked at me with those big hazel eyes. "And I'm ... I'm so sorry."

It was all I could get out before the tears came. But I had to call Ryan, and my mom and my sister, and I had to deliver facts so it was time to pull myself together.

Ryan didn't let me pack my own bag. And I have to say here that I could already tell this bed rest thing was going to be terrible. If I'm flat on my back with the flu, sign me up for maid service. But when I feel completely painless and capable, please don't ask me to make my husband take off work to pack my hospital bag. I felt so useless and lazy. It went against everything in me to sit—no, lay—on the bed and describe to Ryan the precise location of the pajama pants I wanted. Ryan gave me a priesthood blessing. Then he carried my bag, the diaper bag and Lyla to the car. I walked.

We checked into the hospital a few minutes later and learned more about that monitoring and those medications the doctor mentioned. Medications to stop the contracting, steroids to stimulate Baby Girl's lung development (just in case). Belts around my belly that came with the added bonus of listening to her heartbeat. They monitored contractions, which I was still having, even though I didn't feel a thing.

Lunch today, day three of the hospital.
As I asked more questions, I learned this seven-week bed rest was to be taken quite literally. Acceptable positions include laying in a bed, laying on a couch, sitting up to eat, and going to the bathroom or taking a shower.

I am not to lift, walk around, ride in a car or even leave the house. No cooking, no cleaning, no playing on the floor with Lyla.

Just chillin' in the hospital. As families do.
"Can we do this?" I asked Ryan, after the reality sank in.

"We can do anything," he said.

And isn't that the irony? I'll do anything, but what I have to do is nothing.

-----------------

I've had friends and family ask for updates, so I thought this little corner of the Internet might be a good place to give them. And for all the things I can't do, one thing I can do is type.

The update up to now is this: I've had two non-stress tests in a row that show no contractions. Zero! The ultrasound tomorrow will give final word, but the doctor said this morning she's going to count her chickens and hope I can go home tomorrow. I really, really want to go home tomorrow.

The morning after I got here I listened to Elder Holland's talk "The Ministry of Angels." It brought a lot of things into sharp focus for me—things I needed to understand. Already, not 12 hours after my appointment, angels from my family and from our ward had reached out to us. I felt angels watching over us. And I realized that I am married to an angel, and I gave birth to one.

We are going to be okay. I'm confident we'll take this little one full term. Getting there might be a little complicated, but we can do it. With our Heavenly Father and family and good friends, we can do it.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jeanette said...

Breanna! This is a beautiful post. Thanks for the update. I want to be one of your angels! My favorite line is "I'll do anything, but what I have to do is nothing." I'm thinking of you and praying for you!

July 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Good luck Breanna! This is a hard time, but you are such a strong person. You can do it!

July 11, 2013 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck Bre! I wish I could be there to help with Lyla and things! Hopefully the scare is all it takes to get rid of this life's hiccup.

July 11, 2013 at 3:54 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Sending prayers your way! Doing nothing, particularly when you want to be a mom to your little one, is not an easy thing. You are strong and I know your family will be watched over.

Again, thank you for always sharing your stories and experiences. They are so touching and uplifting.

July 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM  
Blogger Elijah Walker Family said...

Brings tears to my eyes! Hang in there, you will get that baby here safe and sound, but it sounds like you are going to have quite the journey to get there. My cousin had her baby at 23 weeks and he is alive healthy and home now! You are in my prayers. I love Ryan's response, "We can do anything."

July 11, 2013 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Breanna! This sounds like major learning. One of the things I think came to me during my depression is that I'm valuable without doing anything. Just being makes me valuable. That's a tough one since I am very task-oriented.

You can do this.

July 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM  
Blogger Aaron and Megan said...

You can do this! I can relate to how you felt like you were feeling great and then a doctor informs you that you are not. I had a similar experience just 6 days after I had my baby boy. I thought I was feeling well, but my body was needing medical attention. It was tough during those moments in the hospital. Especially when I went in for a check-up and my doctor informed me that I would be staying at the hospital on strong medicine in hopes to prevent bigger problems. It was rough, but looking back I am so glad that my doctor had the knowledge to admit me to the hospital. What a blessing! You can do this!

July 11, 2013 at 7:28 PM  
Blogger tubilinha tiacarminha said...

Nós podemos fazer qualquer coisa.Sim podemos.Quando a voz de DEUS a nos guiar.Você pode,seu marido pode e seus filhos podem.DEUS OS ABENÇOE!!!!

July 11, 2013 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger Lylene said...

We will do this and get our other little angel here.

July 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

I'm sorry, Bre! That's scary! Hopefully these next few weeks pass quickly for you and your family. I'm not close by, but please let me know if there's something I can do to help.

July 11, 2013 at 11:47 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Hi Breanna! You prob don't remember me, I'm one of Ryan's cousins. And from a mom who just came through a very similar experience, I wanted to tell you that yes, you can do this!
I was on strict bed rest for 3 weeks and then modified bed rest for 2 before being induced at 39 weeks. Like you, I was having contractions (unfortunately some of mine were quite painful). And like you, I had one little person who depended on me for everything!
I don't have a habit of giving unsolicited advice, but since I wish someone would have shared a bit of advice with me as I began the bed rest adventure, I'll share a few things I learned.
First, it's normal to feel like a bad mom. You're used to doing everything for your little lady and now you can't! It's incredibly frustrating. Just realize that in this season, by honoring your body and resting as you should, you are being the very best mom you can to this little one inside. It's hard, but worth every frustrating moment!
Second, bed rest is in some strange way a fabulous way to prepare your first for a new baby. She will get used to having someone else help her with everything, which after baby comes makes things a little easier.
And third, you'll get to see your husband as even more of an incredible husband and father. I'm sure you've already seen this with Ryan, but it's amazing to watch these men we're married to pick up our slack.
I hope you have someone coming to help! If not I'm sure between your ward family and Ryan, you'll be well taken care of. We'll keep you and your little family in our prayers!

July 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

Hey! Sounds very similar to my situation with my Tyler. Do what the doctor tells you!!! My biggest advice!!! I know it is crappy to be On strict bed rest, but whether or not you feel pain... you need to do what the doctor orders. Bed rest gets...well OLD and fast. I think I only had to have 5 weeks of strict bed rest, then I took myself off (when I reached 37 weeks.... but then Had Tyler three days later. But listen to your body, what it is telling you and take it easy. Let this be a time where you humble yourself for help, and take it willingly. There will be a time and a place to pay it forward later. Anyway, if you need someone to talk to, you are welcome to call! Hope you keep that munchkin in a little bit longer!
Oh... and its ok to order pizza every night too... 1. your preggers and totally justified in eating whatever you want and 2. Makes Ryan a happier hubby not having to worry about dinner and clean up... ha ha ha.

July 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home