This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

10.22.2013

Tremendously Interested

By Lisa Congdon
I saw this pretty little quote on my sister-in-law's blog today, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

I think it's because it perfectly expresses something I've been experiencing lately but couldn't find the words for. Over the last little while, when I haven't been busy taking care of my girls and I've had a minute to myself, I've hardly thought about anything but writing. I come up with story ideas for my next UtahValley360.com post; I brainstorm children's book ideas; I wonder how my book evaluations are coming along (no word yet). I've thought of all the publications I could send my writing to. I think about this little blog and itch to get over here.

I've always liked writing, but it's clear to me now I'll never be able to get it out of my system. If there's ever been a time in my life when I could stop, it's now when I'm building a little family and building a life for us in a new state, far away from everything we know. But it's like a bad habit I just can't kick. If I go a day without writing, I'm up bright and early to remedy the problem the next day.

I even found a bunch of writing organizations to Like on Facebook. I started following the news again and have made a point to read at least a little bit every day.

Image from my Pinterest board, no working link. :(
But here's the thing about "find[ing] something you're passionate about and stay[ing] tremendously interested in it"—once you admit you're passionate, and once you're in so deep that your Facebook feed is bleeding that certain something, you're in it. You're committed. And if you fail, you no longer have the excuse that you weren't really trying.

I was on the phone with my dad tonight and I said something like, "Dad, I'm trying really hard at this. I really like writing."

He said, "I know you do." And suddenly I felt incredibly vulnerable. It's easier not to care.

But I still love writing, and I'm going to keep writing and submitting books and articles to anyone who will take them. And as scary as it is, I'm not afraid to tell myself and my dad and all of you this: I'm trying my very hardest.

2 Comments:

Blogger ElyssaJK said...

Whenever it comes up in conversation that I'm working on a novel, I find myself sort of apologizing for it. "I'm writing a book, I know -- like EVERYBODY ELSE."
"It's sort of a silly project, but I do it for fun." A lie -- of course I hope to be published someday. Or making similar comments that I can feel undermine what I actually feel my writing is to me.

It doesn't feel authentic to say the sort of above things, but for some reason I feel uncomfortable confidently stating that I'm working on a novel and that I like it and am proud of it. Even now I'm getting the itch to add "proud of it -- whether it is deserving of pride or not." What is up with that? Why does that make me so uncomfortable? So I definitely relate to that vulnerability. It's scary to have people know your sincerest dream, especially when it's something (like being published) that is big and in large part outside of your control.

October 22, 2013 at 10:32 PM  
Blogger Breanna said...

Elyssa, that's exactly what I'm talking about! I'm glad you can relate. It's so hard to admit you're invested sometimes. And I'm excited to see your finished product!

October 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home