This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

12.01.2010

That's What's Happening

It's December, but I'm not going to blog about my Christmas tree (yet). I'm finishing a really good book, but I'm not going to blog about that. Nope. Today, I'd like to talk about verbs. Because I'm cool like that.

My dad had a nightmare the other night. In it, he was writing a book but was under contract to complete the novel without using any verbs. He found this infuriating. Who wouldn't?

(For those of you who are interested, he enlisted verbals to assist in his murder mystery, i.e. "The goal: to identify the killer.")

As I considered the real-life implications of such a predicament, I realized how hard that would actually be. Even nouns are verbs these days. As a grammar Nazi/schoolmarm, this intrigues me. Every noun—once people decide it's cool enough—becomes a verb.

The way I see it, becoming a verb is pretty much the coolest thing that can happen to a noun. However, the noun has no control over if or when it transforms. It just happens—I think the masses get the final say. There are a lot of attempts at making business' names into verbs, and as much as I admire the marketing directors' nerve, that's akin to giving yourself a nickname. Just don't do it.

Cases in point:

Cool: "Why don't you Google it?"
Not cool: "I used to Sizzler with my dad. Now my kids love it!"

Cool: "I wanted him to come to the party, so I Facebooked him."
Not cool: "The more you know, the more you Kohls."

Cool: "You got Jimmered."
Not cool: "I know. I think I'll Bing it."

... climbing off soapbox now ...

5 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

As much as I love writing, I have not dreamed about verbs yet! Too funny :).

December 1, 2010 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I LOVE this post. It made me laugh. Its so true, sometimes people just try to hard to verb a noun. :)

December 2, 2010 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

HAHA! Bre, this post is fantastic. I loved the cool vs "not cool" verbs. "You got Jimmered" has got to be my favorite one by far.

December 3, 2010 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

I love this post, and yes, some nouns should just never become verbs.

December 7, 2010 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger Ron Bennett said...

A little-known fact:Michel Dansel, freelance intellection, author of books such as "The Rat, Our Brother in Darkness" for his latest work: a 233-page novel without verbs, "Le Train de Nulle Part," or "The Train to Nowhere."

A comment without verbs... with love, from Pops

December 7, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home