This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

3.23.2012

About Those Books

via
So ... about The Hunger Games.

Like just about every person on the planet (or at least all those on Facebook), I've seen a lot of hype about The Hunger Games. A lot of my friends went and saw the movie. Most of them loved it. But I read some reviews that were bothersome to me, and I had to add my two cents. (This is a big step for me, because it's probably the first controversial topic I've taken on in this venue. Bear with me.)

The biggest complaint people seem to have with it is that The Hunger Games is "about teenagers killing each other." And yes—that is in the movie. And the books. By all means, if you don't want to watch a movie or read a book with violence in it, don't read The Hunger Games. Don't watch it. You should watch and read what you feel good about, and often even the best stories can be tainted by "that one bad part." I'm with you there.

But whether you choose to go see the movie is neither here nor there. The thing that really bothers me—the part that got under my skin so much as to throw me into a full G-Chat rant to Ryan while he tried to do his schoolwork—is when people say violence is what The Hunger Games is about.


What's in a book and what a book is about are two very different things. Anyone who's taken any course in literature knows that. Cinderella has child abuse, a broken family and a lot of vermin. But is it about those things? No. It's about overcoming your circumstances and the odds and making something of yourself.
via
If a book were defined simply by the elements it contains, most (if not all) of the books we call classics would not only be inappropriate, but worthless. If a book were nothing more than the sum of its parts:

To Kill a Mockingbird is about (alleged) rape.
Fahrenheit 451 is about arson.
Harry Potter is about witchcraft.
The Scarlet Letter is about adultery.
A Separate Peace is about murder.

You get my gist. A book is about so much more than its events. There are themes. Lessons to learn. Characters we can see the best and worst of ourselves in. You have to read a book to see what the author is trying to say, not simply to be entertained. I think what Suzanne Collins was trying to say is that when a government gets too powerful, they can do bad things. She's saying that America's obsession with watching other peoples' misfortune from the comfort of our living rooms is sadistic and dangerous. And as a side note, she didn't just dream up the violence out of nothing. Think ancient Rome. Gladiators.

Suzanne Collins was making a social commentary by pointing out the worst in human nature, not celebrating it. One of my friends said it perfectly in his GoodReads review of the first book:
"I'm glad there are more books in the series because I would like to see her address the underlying issues and not leave it as just a story of kids killing other kids."
And that's what she does.

If you don't want to read about or see violence, these books are not for you. Neither is the movie. But please, give the author and those who love the books a little credit by realizing violence isn't really what they're all about.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Honestly, that was my impression of the series, that is was all about violence, and that's why I've avoided them. But your viewpoint on this has made me think really hard about my avoidance. I love those other books you referenced, and had never thought about what they contained in that light. Bre, you may have converted someone to read the books and give it a shot. Thanks again for another eloquent post.

March 23, 2012 at 10:00 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

I agree with this 100%, but I will say that my problem with the books is that they show up in the children's section (sometimes the YA section, where they should be, but I often see them in the children's section in smaller stores), so kids think it's OK for them to read them -- and it's not, IMHO. A little 10-year-old in our ward was introduced the other day and said how much she loved "The Hunger Games" -- and my mom, who is an elementary school librarian, has fourth-graders asking for "Twilight." I guess what I'm saying is that I like what Suzanne Collins is doing with satire, but it saddens me that parents aren't paying attention and deciding that their kids are too young to read certain books. Really it's the marketing of the books that's making me mad -- and SC doesn't have much control over that. :)

By the way, I changed my blog URL and wanted to make sure you have the new link: love-lindsay-wilcox.blogspot.com .

March 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger Geoff Nielson said...

What a grey area to tread.

I think these books, like with any material we are presented,require discerning meaning from content. And this process hangs on both the creator and the viewer.
If the content over powers the meaning, then the viewers are at odds with the creator. If the meaning is equally complimented by the content, then everyone is happy, except the ignorant or young who see things at face value. The hard part is who decides whether the content over powers the meaning or not. hehe. I do agree with your opinion, but then I am a guy and violence doesn't phase me. Throw a romance movie filled with sex, and I might argue the movie has become more about the content than the meaning of love.

What to do about the children and ignorant adults who only take things at face value? Educate or avoid till ready.

March 24, 2012 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger Breanna said...

Thanks, Kate! If you do read them, I hope you enjoy them.

March 24, 2012 at 7:58 PM  
Blogger Breanna said...

You make a good point, Lindsay. They're definitely not kids' books, and I've been surprised to see them marketed that way. For that matter, I was also surprised to see some of the Harry Potters marketed as kids' books (teen, yes. Kids? ... maybe not). I wonder if it's a sign of our being desensitized. I'm with you—I wish parents would be more aware of the content of books their kids are reading so they can help them make informed decisions about what's appropriate. For adults, though, the novel needs to be viewed as a whole.

March 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger Breanna said...

I think you hit one of the main points I was thinking about, Geoff. I wonder if people are losing the ability to read symbolically, to discern what books are about beneath the action. We as a society tend to only seek entertainment from books, from movies, from everything—so much so that we don't see what things are really about. That makes people only see the very surface, and it cheapens the entire reading (and viewing) experience. Thanks for making that point more clear.

March 24, 2012 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Happy Birthday Breanna! Hope you have a great day.
love,
Bonnie

March 28, 2012 at 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home