This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

3.07.2012

Make it Happen

Image source
A few things are especially significant to me right now.
1. When I was eight years old, I asked Santa Claus for a Barnes&Noble gift certificate. True story.
2. When I was seven, I wrote, printed, bound and sold books. Mostly to my mom, but still—wrote, printed, bound and sold.
3. When I was 20 years old, I met Ryan Olaveson. We promised each other a lot of things over the next year or two, but one of those promises is engraved on the inside of his wedding band: Dream big.
4. My dream has always been to be an author.
and 5. I've never done anything about it.

Until now. I've been talking about writing a book for years now, perusing the aisles at Barnes&Noble and Deseret Book and Borders and dreaming of seeing my own book there. I've read books by authors younger than me and thought I could do that. I've read blog posts by authors chronicling their book tours and signings, thinking Someday that will be me. And here I've sat, dreaming and dreaming and doing nothing about it.

Then 2012 happened. I started making myself come up with (boring) plots. I wrote down silly premises in my notebook because even a silly premise is a premise. I came up with all kinds of them, talking to friends about what is overdone and what I could feasibly write. And then the other night, it came to me.

Premise. Plot. Theme. Characters. The works.

I have a lot of work ahead of me. The odds of it ever being published are dismal. But my goal isn't to be the next J.K. Rowling (though let's be honest, that'd be nice), but it is to write a book. My first book.

I don't know how to write a book. But I don't know how to be a mother either, and I'm figuring that one out.

Here goes nothing.

8 Comments:

Blogger DIY&How said...

Bre, I will read your book. Or have Ryan read it to me. Either way, I'll digest it.

March 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM  
Blogger Jenn J. said...

I can't wait to have a famous, billionaire sister.

March 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! I encourage this a 1000 times over.

On 2 other side notes, I actually had the thought today that my dream would be write a book too. The other side note is I'm trying to encourage Sarah to write a children's book.

March 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger The Halladays said...

Good luck! You can do it! When you finish writing, Lance has a connection with Deseret Book if you're interested :)

March 7, 2012 at 11:35 PM  
Blogger Danette Miller said...

You go girl!!

March 8, 2012 at 12:20 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Love it, I'm a fan already.

March 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Dream Big!

March 10, 2012 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Good for you Bre!

March 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home