This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

9.16.2012

Love Stories

Did you know we were on the cover of a magazine?
I've mentioned it here before, but I'm writing a book. Horray! It's coming along well and I find the whole process--writing, researching, rewriting, reading, editing, researching some more--ridiculously fun and rewarding. I am having a blast.

In my research this week I came across what you could call a gold mine. My book is a biography told as a collection of anecdotes, and I found the life story of my subject's wife that she wrote before she passed away but long after he did. I was excited to see her accounts of their life together and opened the folder quickly. Then the title page took me by surprise and stopped me short.

"My Life: A Love Story"

There it was, put simply, transcribed on an old typewriter sometime in the middle of the 20th century. My Life: A Love Story. How lovely to consider your life that way--to be able to look back on your life after decades of marriage and decades more of widowhood and say decidedly, "My life has been a love story."

I came home after an hour or so of reading and transcribing with her title still on my mind. Of course, I asked myself, "Is my life a love story?"

I've thought about it a lot this week and today when I went back and opened that autobiography again, I realized I felt the same way she did. My life is a love story, but before you write this off as a lovey-dovey post, hear me out.

Ryan and I met cute. We had dramatic ups and downs in our months of dating that culminated in a joyous engagement and happy wedding. We have learned and grown together, learning from each other's strengths and compensating for each other's weaknesses. And the plan is to keep this good thing going.

At my graduation from BYU-Idaho, April 2010
But my life was a love story long before I met my husband. I loved my mother and father before I loved anyone, and they loved me too. I felt love in my home from them and from my siblings, and I instantly loved my little nieces and nephews.

My parents and I on one of my favorite trips -- New York City, 2009
I grew and came to love my friends at school, my teachers and my neighbors. I learned to love God and tried to understand what that meant. I learned how to show love to my family and others through service and communication. I tried to love my enemies.

When Ryan came along, I recognized a different kind of love. And that's when I knew I could marry him. I did, we were happy, life was good. I thought I knew what love was.

Just moments after I became a mother.
And then Lyla came along. She opened in my heart a whole new capacity for love I didn't know I had. I can only imagine what her brothers and sisters will do.

So at the risk of making this post even cheesier than it already is, let me say this: it seems to me that life is just one big love story.

4 Comments:

Blogger Charlotte said...

Now that Asher is in bed (at least for a few hours), I faced the choice of staying up for another few minutes or going to bed. Then I saw you had a new post, and I made my decision to stay up just a little longer. I'm really glad I did.

I love this post, and I love living a love story. Oh how I wish we lived closer.

PS I'm so excited about your book! I've been mulling over the kind of writing I'd like to write, and it's been exciting and fun. I'm still in the inspiration stages, and I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere. I'll keep you posted. Obviously.

September 16, 2012 at 1:48 AM  
Blogger sarahjeanne said...

This post made me think of a passage I recently read (and loved) from a book a friend recommended to me.

"Is it unseemly to get married so quickly? I don't want to wait - I want to begin at once. All my life I thought that the story was over when the hero and heroine were safely engaged - after all, what's good enough for Jane Austen ought to be good enough for anyone. But it's a lie. The story is about the begin, and every day will be a new piece of the plot. Perhaps my next book will be about a fascinating married couple and all the things they learn about one another over time."

I'm so glad you are writing pieces of your love story here so we can all enjoy the things you are learning about over time. And I, too, wished we lived closer to hear about them more often!

September 16, 2012 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Lylene said...

I love being part of your love story. You are a big part of mine.

September 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Ginny said...

Hi Breanna! I just found your blog site again while cleaning out some of my links. How surprised I was to see the new addition to your family! Lyla is beautiful and I'm so happy to see the joy that you have in your home. We miss you hear but congratulations, you've got some terrific times ahead of you.

September 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home