This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

10.27.2012

I Like It, I Like It Not

Image from here

The other day, I sent Ryan a funny email. He replied, "*Like*."

That really cracked me up. Because, you know, "Like" is what we do on Facebook when we read a post and think it's funny or worthwhile, but instead of taking the time to compose a comment (or lift your finger from the trackpad, even) you just say, "Like."

You can "like" things on Pinterest too. And I've found that kind of electronic "liking" is pretty self-fulfilling. Generally speaking, if I see something on Pinterest enough, I start actually liking it. Even if I probably wouldn't like it in real life.

It's genius marketing, and people are trying to capitalize on it. In many cases, it works. But I read a blog post a while ago (I've searched for it and now I can't find it, but if any of you know what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll link it here) that asked us to decide what we really like. Pinterest has become a place where people go not to bookmark the things they like but to actually find out what they should like. We pin photos of recipes we'd never cook, sewing projects we'd never finish, parties we'd never throw, furniture we could never afford. The blogger asked herself, "Do people really love chevron prints this much, or is it just that everyone on Pinterest says we should like it?"

Don't get me wrong. I have found a few recipes on Pinterest that I know I will make over and over again. I've found some really inspiring blog posts and ideas for baby quilts. But the question remains: Do I really like chevron prints? Really?

I've done some soul-searching. And I have decided:

I do like:
Writing (mostly nonfiction)
Reading (but not Jane Austen)
Baking, if the recipe calls for ingredients I have on hand
Cooking in the crock pot, usually with cream of something soups
Quilting
Sewing simple things for Lyla to wear
Colored pants
Clever things (but only if they're punctuated correctly)

I don't like:
The word "crafting"
Decorating with vinyl, or decorations that look too homemade
Floral printed pants
Complicated makeup
Putting giant bows on my baby
Couponing
Complicated DIYs
Cooking that requires lots of pans
Having long hair

The jury is still out on beach cruisers, Ryan Gosling saying stuff, and half marathons.

And chevron.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

Here's the link to the blog post you were talking about (I liked it, too): http://www.everyday-reading.com/2012/09/authenticity.html

And, while I do like chevron, I have to agree about the complicated DIYs and vinyl. Pinterest is great for coming up with ideas and perpetuating trends, but I rarely make/do anything I pin because it's just too complicated. Must be better about that. :)

October 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Lylene said...

I don't like Chevron prints; but I do like you and yours very much.

October 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger onlymehere said...

I've been reading you for awhile but never commented. Your blog caught my eye because of your love of writing and I follow Camille's blog. I had to google Chevron prints to see what they were! I'm not a fan either. I just thought it was fabric I didn't adore but now I know the proper name. I learn something every day!
Cindy

October 30, 2012 at 7:33 AM  
Blogger Lori Jane said...

I agree with everything on your I don't like list, except the long hair-that I do like. :) I also like:
-Clever comments
-Outfits my body type and wallet prohibit
-Architecture/interior design I will never really get to live in because kids are more important that things

October 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM  
Blogger Breanna said...

Thank you, Lindsay! I will get that link on there. Glad I'm not the only one not going for the vinyl craze. :)

October 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Breanna said...

:) I like you too, Mom.

October 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger Breanna said...

Cindy, thank you for your comment! I'm glad you found me. Chevron is a fun print, but it seems like it's penetrated everything lately. Thanks for stopping by!

October 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM  
Blogger Breanna said...

Love your "like" list! And if I had thick, pretty hair like yours, I'd definitely wear it long too. :)

October 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

Oh how I love this post! It's true: before I repin something, I have to decide if it's something that I really do like and really would do.

I don't like ombre, DIY projects (especially when they involve sanding), multicolored fingernails, complicated hair-dos, or the mustache fad.

I do like some damask, gray and yellow, some vinyl (but not the stupid kitchsy designs), clever sayings/printables that are properly punctuated, lists of kid books, and simple holiday projects.

And yes, I do legitimately like chevron in moderation.

November 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home