This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

10.16.2012

Moving Forward



When I saw "Meet the Robinsons" for the first time, I was smitten by the words that come onscreen at the end:
 "Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious. ... And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." --Walt Disney
I was in college, just leaving home for the first time but not sure yet what I was working toward. I had dreams -- a lot of them -- but I wasn't sure how I'd see them through. I wasn't even sure if they were possible, or if they were in the plan God had for me. I tried to find the balance between working toward my goals with faith and mentally preparing for the unexpected. Those words rang true to me.

That was five years ago. Just last week I was walking to the car from the library at BYU after working on my book for another few hours when I realized: I was living my dreams. Five years ago, I'd dreamed of working as a writer. I hoped I could write books. I'd dreamed of getting married and hoped I could have children. I'd dreamed of writing in my spare time while taking care of my children full-time. In short, I'd dreamed of doing precisely what I was doing in that very moment.

And there's still room to move forward. There are more books to write, more children to raise, and more job opportunities for Ryan ahead. But we are getting there. I have come a long way since I first met the Robinsons. So now all there is to do is, you know, keep moving forward.


When Ryan learned he had an official full-time job offer with PepsiCo in Dallas, I felt we had come to the end of an era. Leaving BYU feels like the end of the "newlywed" chapter of our lives and the beginning of the "young family" chapter. But it's a welcome change. When I see all the 18-year-olds on campus (including my niece) and as our pool of local friends dwindles and they scatter across the country, it feels like it's about time to move on. No, to move forward.

So a few days ago I did a Google search for master's degrees in creative writing, or English, or journalism, just to see what was out there. I probably won't start my master's degree for a few years at least, but setting new goals and looking another five years ahead is exciting to me.

Ryan kissed me for the first time while we were watching Meet the Robinsons. When we got married, I thought how funny it would be to tell our children their father first kissed me during a Disney movie. But now, it seems appropriate.


Keep moving forward.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

So, I have to interject here. I had tried kissing Bre on multiple attempts before this, in more romantic situations, of course. And on a more important note, Bre is right. We are moving forward - and I couldn't be happier with where we are going.

October 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Congratulations on the job offer! Very exciting. Good for you living your dreams, too. :)

October 16, 2012 at 11:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I LOVE the motto "keep moving forward"!!! The first time I saw that movie I KNEW it would be my family movie. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Congratulations on bigger and better things!

October 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home