This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

10.02.2012

Why I Exercise

Image from here

My sister told me about a friend of hers who came out and said it: "I hate exercising. But I do it because it's the only way to stay skinny."

Honesty like that is refreshing. And when I read my friend's post here, I took an honest look at why I exercise. I thought about it while I walked through the semi-darkness of early morning from the fitness center in the BYU Smith Field House back to the car so I could get home before Ryan had to leave for work. Why do I do this?

But first: a disclaimer. I am in no way a dedicated, hour-a-day exerciser. I have good stretches and relapses. I have run some races, but I am not a competitor. I am a mother, a wife, a writer, a reader, a baker, a quilter, and an exerciser. It's one thing on a long list of things I like. And this is why it made the list.

First, because it feels good—mostly later. Some people love the pain of pushing through that last mile. The burn in the legs and lungs is like a drug to some people. I am not one of them, but I do love the feelings that immediately follow that pain—the moment of release. The moment when the final time is recorded and oxygen returns and muscles relax. It feels like I accomplished something hard. And later, when I have to do something mentally taxing (read: third draft), I feel more capable. More confident. Because I ran four miles this morning for Heaven's sake and if I can do that at 6 a.m. I sure as heck can finish this now thankyouverymuch.

Second, because I only have one body and I want to keep it as healthy as possible. I addressed that idea in this post from right after Lyla was born. I was in relatively good shape before I got pregnant, but after she was born, it was a battle to get back in shape. I didn't love how much more padding I had on me, but worse than that, I got sore in my arms and back when I held Lyla for a long time. I lost my breath faster when I walked around. And lifting that car seat was nearly the death of my biceps. I wanted to be strong so I could take care of her. I wanted to lose the extra weight that was slowing me down. I wanted to be the master of my body, and not let it be the other way around.

Third, it helps me stay happy. Like many people, I am prone to worry and anxiety. I am also prone to self-doubt and lack of confidence. I do a lot of things to ward off those feelings, and exercise is at the top of my list. When I get my blood moving and sweat a little, I find my thoughts are elevated. My desire to live in the moment is increased. I smile more. I feel more confident and relaxed. As a result, my home is a happier place and my husband and daughter seem more content.

I don't really know exactly what I'm trying to say here or what the point of all this is. I guess it's just that sometimes I need a lift, some inspiration, and writing this out is good for me.  And I felt so good after my Zumba workout that I thought I'd share my thoughts with anyone who might want to hear them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brigitte said...

That was exactly what I needed to hear. Motivation is so different for everyone and I love hearing how people stay excited about the, sometimes, mundane things in their lives. Thank you!

October 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I just did Zumba for the first time tonight with the Young Women. Wow, I knew I was not coordinated, but I was more pathetic than I imagined. I think I will stick to walking every day...

October 10, 2012 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger Melissa and Erick Avila said...

Thank you for this. I needed it.

December 16, 2012 at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home