This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

12.14.2012

My Position in the Pants Movement

When I was in junior high and high school, my coaches frequently asked us to wear dresses to school on game day because it would help us think about the game. My coaches—some male, some female—understood that when we dress differently, we think differently. When we dress in better clothes, we act better.

That's why I will be wearing a dress to church this Sunday and every other Sunday for the rest of my life.

A lot of women won't be wearing a dress on Sunday. Which is, you know, fine. The Church doesn't say it isn't. Some church members will make a fuss, but those people make a fuss about a lot of things. I choose to wear a dress because dressing nicer than I do every other day is an important part of my Sabbath worship. Wearing a dress makes me feel more in touch with the God-given feminine qualities I have. Those qualities empower me.

I have friends who I respect very much who are joining the movement and wearing pants to church. They say they feel inferior because of a lot of different issues and feel that wearing pants will be their own little way of saying, "I want to be heard. I want to be noticed. I want things to be better for women in our church."

I've read my friends' thoughts and opinions. And I genuinely feel that they come from a good place. I completely understand their desire to start a conversation about something that bothers them.

And can I be real for a moment? There are some things about the culture of the Church that bother me too. Sometimes I wish we would all call the Relief Society president "President" rather than "Sister." I wish the Young Womanhood Recognition Award was made as big of a deal as the Eagle Scout Award. I wish there were more female authors in LDS bookstores. But wearing pants doesn't seem to me like it's addressing any of those things.

Do you mind if I share another story?

I was a Mia Maid (14- 15-year-old girl) and one of my leaders did something that made me feel stupid and hurt. I went home in tears and told my mom about it. It was horrible. But never for one millisecond did it cross my mind to stop going to church. I've known since I was nine years old that Joseph Smith was who he said he was and that the Book of Mormon and the Church that espouses it are true. That is deeply ingrained in my heart. I have a testimony of God and I know that He is my Father. I know that Jesus Christ is the Redeemer of the World and my personal Savior.

That's why I go to church. I don't go for a Mia Maid teacher.

So I shake my head when people say they left the Church—or even struggle with the doctrines of the Church—because of an opinionated Sunday School teacher or an inattentive bishop. Or because the Young Womanhood Recognition Award isn't as big of a deal as an Eagle Scout Award. If we go to Church strictly for the people or the programs, it's time to pray a little harder and dig a little deeper.

The "Wear Pants to Church" thing is, as I understand from my embarrassingly thorough research, meant to address these cultural aspects of the Church that can (and probably should) change. I honestly believe a lot of these people have strong testimonies of the gospel, and that's why they're not leaving. They just want some things to change. But as I've studied and prayed, I've found my answer to how I should react to all of this.

And in order to share it with you, I need to share one last story.

I was almost nineteen years old and visiting my parents' ward. I remember one of my good friends, Michael, was just coming out of the bishop's office. He was glowing. His mission papers had just been submitted.

I remember the feelings I had. I looked at Michael, who was just two months older than me. I remembered the Seminary classes we'd taken together. The Sunday School classes. The mutual activities. The firesides. He and I had received virtually identical spiritual training outside our homes. Moreover, I had grown magnificently in my testimony since I left home. I learned to study the scriptures and I had heartfelt conversations with my Father in Heaven. I was coming to understand more about the gospel. And as I watched Michael come out of the bishop's office prepared to share the gospel with people throughout the world, I desperately wanted to do the same.

I remember asking the bishop, half-jokingly but not really, if we could bend the rules and get me out on a mission when I turned 19. He couldn't, of course. Women weren't eligible for missionary service until they were 21.

But if that had happened today, it would have been different. When President Monson announced that women would now be eligible for missionary service at age 19, I couldn't hold in my tears. They flowed and flowed and I wiped my face and I hugged my husband and especially my daughter. I couldn't go on a mission when I was 19, but she can, if she wants to.

I watched the press conference after that session of General Conference. Elder Holland addressed the concern that women should be called to serve for 24 months, like the men are, instead of the traditional 18. To that, Elder Holland so wisely and articulately replied, "One miracle at a time."

As I thought and prayed about this movement, Elder Holland's words were my answer. Cultural failings will change on the Lord's timetable as faithful women live up to their privileges. I read on one website that women feel unequal when they don't see more female LDS authors. So they're starting a movement to talk about how they feel unequal. Me? I'm becoming an LDS author. And not because I want to prove a point; because I genuinely want to do it. (I am 34,999 words into the second draft of my 69,705-word biographical creative nonfiction LDS book. I'll have to tell you more about it sometime.)

The doctrines of the gospel of Jesus Christ bless men and women equally. There is no blessing my husband can receive that I can't. Yes, there are blessings—like the sealing of our eternal family—that I can't receive without him. But here's the part so many people seem to have forgotten—he can't receive those blessings without me, either.

One of the things I love most about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is that men and women are truly spiritually equal before God. Any problems I have had with any of it have been cultural, in no way tied to Jesus Christ, whose Church this really is. When I truly remember Jesus Christ, my concerns don't seem so big. They don't disappear, but they shrink back into perspective.

As part of my studying and soul-searching on the topic, I came across David A. Bednar's talk "Converted unto the Lord." At one point, he said, "Conversion requires all of our heart, all of our might, and all of our mind and strength."

I dedicated a lot of time and thought to this whole thing a couple days ago. And here I am again, addressing the issue. As I do, I feel my might, mind and strength tiring. It's taking a lot of energy out of me that I could be using to do so much more. Energy I could use to serve others, to make good decisions for my family with my husband, to attend the temple, to study the scriptures, to better myself in every way.

And isn't that what this whole feminism thing is supposed to be about? Making things better?

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I have questions. I hope to see positive change in the world and in my culture. But I'm starting where I think I can do the most good. And for me, that's not in the chapel, wearing pants.

25 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Beautifully said, Breanna. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm exited to see your writing on shelves. I follow your blog and love it!

December 14, 2012 at 10:30 PM  
Blogger Kendog said...

Thank You Bre! I am not allowed to write my feelings on this subject, because I'm just a dumb man! Therefore it's impossible for me to understand women's plight. I will say that our church teaches it's men to uplift, empower and respect women in all ways. I wish more of the world taught men to do that. And I would actually say that women get to do many of the really good things in life that I wish I could do. Should I wear a dress Sunday to protest?!

December 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Breanna, Thanks for writing and sharing. I think that last paragraph sums it all up beautifully!

December 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM  
Blogger Nellie said...

Breanna, I had only heard about this pants at church movement yesterday (Thursday) and I didn't know what to think. Thankfully one of my friends posted a link to your blog on facebook and I am so grateful to hear your words. They summed up exactly what I'd been thinking and feeling but couldn't seem to articulate myself. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!! I am so grateful! And I'll be passing this along, I think it will make a difference. Thank you!

December 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM  
Blogger Analyn said...

Love it. Beautifully put Bre!

December 15, 2012 at 1:09 AM  
Blogger LeaDawn said...

Well said Bre! Thanks for reminding us all what is really important.

December 15, 2012 at 1:12 AM  
Blogger onlymehere said...

Loved Kendog's comment. I haven't heard about this pants thing until your blog. I personally feel that we put our best foot forward for the Lord and that includes "best dress." Remember Elder Whiting's talk in conference about the Laie Temple and the offset tile in the stained glass window? God deserves only the best and if that's a dress that makes me feel and act different so be it. Of course this is written by a lady who also couldn't wear pants to school until 7th grade! Only dresses for us, that's just how it was. Sometimes I think people nit pick about the church because there's something else going on in their life. Just a thought. Thank you for putting this so eloquently.

December 15, 2012 at 7:08 AM  
Blogger onlymehere said...

Last thought. My three little granddaughters ages 4, 2, and 1 live with me currently and I see a drastic change in them when they wear a dress to church. They're much more quiet and reverent!! It's a state of mind and spirit, not a state of dress.

December 15, 2012 at 7:10 AM  
Blogger Samantha Murphey said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Breanna. As you know, I will be wearing pants on Sunday. And aside from that conclusion, my feelings aren't all that different from yours. I don't want/need the priesthood. My concerns are much more simple than that. I'm not angry. I'm not protesting. I'm just, for the first time, showing the vulnerability I feel inside. Just one quick thought:

"So I shake my head when people say they left the Church—or even struggle with the doctrines of the Church—because of an opinionated Sunday School teacher or an inattentive bishop."

This kind of makes it sound like all women who have left the church or gone through a period of inactivity because of gender-related concerns have done so because of something as simple as choosing to be offended by an imperfect person. I think that, for some women, this is sadly the case, but for many women, their reasons are more more complex and spiritual than that. I know you didn't mean to in the least, but in phrasing things that way, you belittle the struggles of many women whose stories aren't quite so petty.

Again, just a thought. There's a lot to think about with this issue isn't there? And so much to say. Have a wonderful, spiritual Sabbath day. I'm looking forward to doing the same.

December 15, 2012 at 7:34 AM  
Blogger Powell's Place said...

Thank you for phrasing your thoughts so beautifully. I'll be passing your blog post along :).

December 15, 2012 at 7:42 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I'm just really interested in knowing your personal reasons for wearing pants. Trying to be open minded and educate myself on the motives and purpose of this peaceful protest. Enlighten us please.

December 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Thompson Family said...

I loved everything about this post. Well said! I completely agree about the YW Recognition Award to a point. I received mine but didn't get recognized except for in Sacrament Meeting and I got my name on a plaque that I will never see because I was raised in San Diego. I think that’s great and everything but everyone else I knew that got theirs in the same ward/stake all got a special dinner where they were recognized with a picture of the Temple and a name plate stating they got the award. Mine was given to me on my door step. The Stake YW President didn't bother to invite me to the dinner. I feel like all the hard work I put in didn't matter but learned that this in no way reflects the church. It was my leaders fault. They weren't following the Church's handbook. Remembering that the church is true but the people in it are imperfect really helps :).

December 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, I loved your article! My brother and sister received their Eagle award and Young Women recognition around the same time. I remember my dad standing up before the Eagle court of honor, and recognizing my sisters accomplishment! He did not undermine what my brother had done, simply recognized in front of members & non-members the work my sister had put it. I was crying, it touched me so much! That is the way to make change!

December 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger Todd and Sheresa said...

Thanks, Bre. I feel like this is respectful of those who are participating. It explains your stand and why. You obviously put a lot of work into figuring out what was the best way for you to respond. Thanks for your soul search and thanks for putting into words what I had not been able to do. I want change, too. :) -Roo

December 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger Heidi Stevenson said...

Thank you, Breanna, your thoughts are great and sincere. I appreciate your blog post. Heidi

Following are the thoughts that I have had since I was made aware of this, if you care to take a look: http://burst.to/2b3; http://burst.to/2bH; http://burst.to/2cW

December 15, 2012 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

I totally agree and appreciate you writing this.

December 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Part Time Blogger said...

I agree with Jill; what are your personal reasons for wearing pants this Sunday? I don't believe they are spiritual reasons. Sometimes my personal thoughts get in the way of my spiritual thoughts. I try to quickly correct them and lean on the teachings of the Scriptures and the church leaders. I may not understand or agree but I have promised to be obedient. And I will be.

December 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger Breanna said...

Samantha is one of the people who I genuinely believe is doing this for good reasons. She wrote a beautiful post about all of this here, if you're interested. http://www.scarlettcalledscout.com/2012/12/15/i-decided-to-wear-pants-to-church-on-sunday-this-is-what-ive-learned/

December 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I am a member of the church and I have thought long and hard on this topic as well. I think what is most important is that whatever any woman chooses to do tomorrow, pants, skirt, whatever, that we believe in a Savior who is loving and compassionate and we need to show that love and compassion to everyone, no matter what they wear. Samantha, I appreciate your comment and commend you for showing your vulnerability. I think more women need to show their vulnerability, but it is hard. Maybe every woman has not felt inequalities in the church but that doesn't change the fact that other women have. And it doesn't matter if you have felt it or not, we are commanded to mourn with those that mourn and comfort those in need of comfort. In my opinion, the decision to wear pants or not is not the issue. The more important decision is whether we let this divide our congregation or unite us. You don't have to agree with someone to show them compassion.

December 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM  
Blogger Zachary said...

Well said Breanna. Love that you carry the Holy Spirit in your conversation.

December 15, 2012 at 11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like what you wrote, I appreciated what I saw one woman write. This whole thing is centered on the women protesting and wearing pants, when we are supposed to be selflessly worshipping. My only comment about the mission thing is I don't feel it is a cultural failure. As a RM, I saw miracles sisters performed, but I feel the focus should be on them preparing to have families and serving if they can. I feel this change is not to correct anything but rather to strengthen our Heavenly Father's army in the last days. I hated while I served that it was only 18m, but it honestly made me more focused and made me feel more special and loved by the Lord.

December 16, 2012 at 2:19 AM  
Blogger Melissa and Erick Avila said...

Bre, I love this! You are a beautiful writer!
This blog post has become quite popular as I saw it posted on someone's facebook wall from my ward here in Houston, TX. Keep up the good writing girl...we need more people like you!

p.s. Miss you! And your little girl is adorable...arranged marriage with my little Linc man? Think on it. Haha!

December 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Thanks, Breanna, for an insightful post. I hadn't read the article about the pants topic until now, and I really liked the post on Scarlett called Scout that you linked to. I realized as I was reading through the different suggestions LDS feminists have for the Church that it has bothered me that women don't hold certain callings in the ward that don't require the priesthood (such as the Sunday School president). And I had never really thought about how people make a much bigger deal out of Eagle scout awards than YW medallions. I have a lot to think about now, but you voiced your thoughts beautifully.

December 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very well said, I hope you have success as an author! I've felt conflicted about this pants movement. My initial reaction was to post something positive about my role as a Mormon woman and dressing up for church- if nothing else to be a voice of reason for my nonmember friends getting a negative image of our church. But after I did that I found myself not believing my own words, I haven't always felt empowered as a woman in the church- especially when I was a missionary. I realized that while I agree with some aspects that these women are "standing" for and do hope to continue to see positive change in the church, these issues have never been important enough in my life to invest my time in or to shake my testimony of the gospel. I have faith that my unanswered questions will eventually be answered and I don't have to be part of a movement that {although filled with good intentions} is doing the opposite of missionary work right now.

December 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger Audra said...

Thank you. very well written.

December 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home