This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

11.22.2013

News Feed Cleanse


I read a study like this one some time ago, and I've kept it in the back of my mind ever since. Could Facebook really be contributing to my unhappiness?

At first glance, it seemed impossible. My friends are, in general, really good about posting positive things. What could be depressing about that?

But a few days ago I sensed it—a subtle but perceptible shift in my mood as I scrolled through my news feed during a break from freelance work. A friend of mine had spent the afternoon finger painting with her two-year-old son while I'd whittled the day away working on the computer.

Ryan sat by me as I read it. "My friend finger painted with her son today," I told him.

"So?" Ryan clearly didn't understand.

"So—I didn't finger paint. I just spent the afternoon working."

"You were earning money. That's great."

"Yeah. But—"

"Did your mom finger paint with you?"

I thought about it. "I don't think so," I said.

"Do you love her? Do you think she's a good mom? Do you think she raised you well and showed you she loved you? Do you think you have a good relationship with her?"

Well, of course I do. She was a great mom; she just wasn't a finger painting mom. We did other things together that we enjoyed. Surely whether she finger painted or not had nothing to do with her competency as a mother.

And in that moment of clarity, I decided to start a little experiment. I hid my finger painting friend from my news feed.

As much as I admired her for doing such great things with her kids, I somehow felt better when the photo of it disappeared. So then I unfollowed a few more of the posters who had similar effects on my psyche.

I didn't unfollow my friends because I don't like them. Quite the opposite—I clearly think they are incredible people with a lot of strengths. But I stack up those strengths against my own weaknesses enough in real life without being reminded of them in my downtime. And when I'm not comparing my lows to other people's Instagram-filtered highs, I can more clearly see that I'm a pretty good mom myself. I might not finger paint, but I am pretty darn good at coloring and dancing.

A woman at my church described the things we see in social media as "airbrushed reality." I think we all know, deep down, that the things Facebook and Instagram and Pinterest portray as normal are really the exceptional. It's kind of the point of social media, really—if we did post mundane everyday things, no one would like it. But it can still get to you.

My sister-in-law once pointed out that social media is, in some ways, like pornography. It feels good in the moment, but it leaves you empty and with a feeling that your reality is somehow lacking.

So I guess this news feed cleanse (as I've come to call it) is my little way of combating the voice in my head that tells me I'm not enough. Because you know what? I think I am. And I'd like to always think that, whether I'm online or not.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

LOVE! I completely agree.

November 22, 2013 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger LeaDawn said...

Yes. So true.

November 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM  
Blogger Kendra said...

Glad you didn't block me. I'm acceptably mundane!

November 22, 2013 at 9:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When I see post after post of people with their happy babies sometimes I want to delete them all. But it helps me think that even though my life has gone NOTHING like I planned it I do have an exceptionally wonderful life and its right for me.
I think your "cleanse" is a great idea!

November 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

This is a great idea! I've done similar things before. When I'm online I want to feel good, not frustrated or politically charged or lacking. And sometimes my FB feed doesn't fit the bill. Way to go

November 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home