This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

3.19.2013

Sort of Pinteresting

I used to go to Pinterest to get inspired, to find new recipes, to find new ideas.

I guess that's still why I go there, but lately I've been disappointed. More and more often I come away more depressed than inspired, more overwhelmed and even angry.

Everything on Pinterest is just someone's idea, just something someone saw somewhere and didn't want to forget. I understand it's not meant to be a prescription for how I live. But somehow, seeing that people I know are putting these things on their online to-do lists triggers something in my subconscious. I begin to wonder if I am somehow lacking.

Then I immediately get really angry, upset at myself for holding myself to some abstract standard of what a woman and mother and homemaker and career woman should be. I know in my heart when I'm doing well, when my best efforts are good enough. But then I see things on Pinterest like this:
And I think, "So now I have to take less than ten minutes to teach my daughter important life skills?"

Then I see this:

And I think, "Oh, no! Lyla's already too old for that one." 

Then I mentally shake myself and say, "No, Lyla is fine. This is not what you have to do or even what everyone else does. Lyla will learn to swim like a normal kid, at swimming lessons, and she will love it."

What follows is the inevitable juxtaposition of side-by-side posts. There's one about toning your abs next to one with a deliciously sinful dessert. A post with ideas for elaborate parties next to a post about simplifying your life. Seeing those things next to each other makes me somehow think I can have it both ways, but I know I can't. 

When I look at these things, I constantly remind myself: This isn't real. I must discover my own reality.

The reality is that end of the day I close my computer and look at my happy, well-adjusted daughter who has somehow become that way in spite of me. She can't swim yet, and it will probably take me more than five minutes to teach her to tie her shoes. My house isn't huge and pristine like the homes I see on the screen, but it is clean.

And that's okay.

Amen.

5 Comments:

Blogger LeaDawn said...

Love the post. So true! We are all individuals with individual trials & priorities. If we spend our time focused on what everyone else is doing, we will never have time to check things off our own to-do lists. I love that you used the word juxtaposition. I remember having it as a vocabulary word & thinking, when would you actually use that? Of course, you did. :)

March 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Love your post! Something that I have been working on for what feels like forever and will continue to work on is not comparing myself and my accomplishments to others and learning to hold myself to my own standard and not thinking I have to throw huge parties while simplifying :) However, I LOVE pinterest for recipes and sewing ideas! I have made almost 50 recipes from pinterest, and almost all of them I have already made or will make again. Now I just have to scroll through and learn to ignore the things that can be depressing that I'm not doing. I realize that even though I don't do all these amazing things with my kids, or have abs of steel, they are still smart and happy, and I don't wear anything to show off abs of steel anyway :)

March 20, 2013 at 7:11 AM  
Blogger Kendog said...

There's a simple solution to this Bre :) At the top of each of your boards post that e card that says "I think about these women who can do everything and I think, 'Hey, I should have them do something for me'"
You're welcome.

March 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger sarahjeanne said...

Ha! Just this week I learned that it was possible to teach an infant to swim (or float and kick to the side) and watched this little video about it. I had the exact same thought of, "Oh no! Is it too late to start with Leo?" He's three months. THREE months. And we hardly ever even go swimming. Sheesh. Thanks for this reminder.

March 24, 2013 at 7:55 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

I agree! I have actually been avoiding Pinterest because I come away from it feeling bad about myself and the things I can't make or cook. It's better sometimes to step away and focus on what you do well, because Pinterest is a collection of things that you could do well. Great post!

April 1, 2013 at 12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home