This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

12.22.2013

Why Santa is Alive and Well Over Here


It's been a while since I wrote about anything controversial. Should we touch on this one? Sounds fun.

Today I overheard a lady I don't know telling a little boy—not her little boy, but just a little boy—that Santa doesn't come to her house. She buys enough toys for her kids, she said, and that's enough. They don't need anything extra from Santa because she and her husband work hard.

She looked down her nose at the little boy—something I've read in fiction books but never actually seen anyone do. She spoke patronizingly. She spoke loudly enough for me and everyone else waiting for tithing settlement to hear. It made me completely bonkers.

Listen. I've heard people say they don't do Santa because he (spoiler alert!) turns out to not be their idea of real, and they're afraid it will shatter their kids' belief in anything else they can't see (i.e. Jesus Christ). I get it. But I feel very strongly that skipping Santa altogether completely disregards the value of symbols and deprives kids of a valuable learning experience.

Especially in a church that highly values symbols (i.e. mine), we need to understand allegory and metaphor. You don't have to look very hard to see how the Santa Story is the perfect symbol for Jesus Christ and His message. (I borrowed a bit from this book, but many ideas are mine. And Ryan's.).

Santa brings good gifts—gifts he knows we want and need. But we have to ask first. It's the perfect parallel to gifts of the Spirit. We have to seek them from the giver of all good gifts.

He wears red. So does the Savior. Matthew 27:27-28 gives the account: "Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the common hall, and gathered unto him the whole band of soldiers. And they stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe." Modern revelation touches on this same sign. Doctrine and Covenants 133:46-48 reads, " And it shall be said: Who is this that cometh down from God in heaven with dyed garments; yea, from the regions which are not known, clothed in his glorious apparel, traveling in the greatness of his strength? And he shall say: I am he who spake in righteousness, mighty to save. And the Lord shall be red in his apparel, and his garments like him that treadeth in the wine-vat." And then there's the simple parallel—the color red is an important symbol of the atonement.

We look forward to his coming and try to be good. Jesus Christ will come again. We will be judged. But we know if we try our very best to be good, it will be enough.

He comes in the night. "For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night." —1 Thessalonians 5:2

He loves children. When children sit on Santa's lap, it makes me think of Christ's coming to the Americas. In 3 Nephi 17, He called the children to him and blessed them one by one. And the gift he gave them in doing so was so much better than all the Red Ryder BB Guns in the world, even if that's the best way we know how to symbolize it.

He has a lot of helpers. Santa has elves and parents to help him do his work. Christ has prophets and both seen and unseen angels to help Him answer our prayers.

He brings good cheer. He's a jolly old man. Christ brings happiness, peace and joy.

He teaches that bad behavior has consequences. If you're good, you get gifts. If you're bad, you get a lump of coal. Coal feeds a fire, which is a worldwide symbol for Hell. A stretch? Maybe. But still true.

He loves all the children in the world, but he makes time to visit each home one by one. We don't know how He does it, but He has the power to do so. He loves us individually even with billions of people to love and care for. Sometimes he has helpers. Mom and Dad help Santa at our house considerably. I hope we're helping the Savior as well.

I was embarrassingly old before I learned that The Good Samaritan wasn't real. He's part of a parable that teaches us about the Plan of Salvation and about a loving God who will stop and help all of us who are sick and wounded on the side of the road.

I know a lot of people still disagree with me and don't want to lie to their kids by telling them Santa Claus is a real person. That's absolutely, positively more than fine. I just wanted to say that we have our reasons for choosing to play the Santa game with our children, just like others have their reasons for choosing not to.

When I finally figured out that The Good Samaritan wasn't a direct account of actual events, I knew that was never the point. It's a story to help me better understand my Savior.

So this Christmas and every Christmas for the next who-knows-how-many years, my girls will learn a little more about the Savior every year as they try to be good, look forward to his coming, and seek good gifts. I hope that when they learn Santa is one of the many Good Samaritans we have to help us learn, they will understand the lessons a little more deeply because of how elaborate the object lesson was.


I know I did. And because I believe in Jesus Christ, I still believe in Santa Claus.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

I agree that teaching your kids is important and can teach them about giving and being kind to others and being good — and I agree that it teaches the importance of gifts. But I have to admit that I have never thought of Santa representing Christ, and I always separated them in my mind, even as a kid. My parents always had us act out the nativity and read the Christmas story in Luke, so I knew that Christmas was about the Savior's birth. Santa just happened to bring presents and was magical and exciting. I actually found Christmas much less exciting when I discovered that Santa wasn't real, and it wasn't until I was in high school that I realized it means much more when you focus on helping others and thinking about the Savior's gift.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think it's great that you've found parallels between Santa and the Savior, but I don't really think that kids will make that connection on their own. I plan to teach my kids about Santa and about Jesus Christ and hope that they learn sooner than I did that it's more magical when it's about giving and not just the gifts Santa brings.

Hopefully that came out right! I think it's great that you tackle topics like this, and my blood would have been boiling if I heard a lady tell a kid that Santa didn't exist, too!

December 22, 2013 at 11:15 PM  
Blogger Breanna said...

Lindsay, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for your thoughts! I was thinking as I wrote this about how kids really do take things pretty literally, so it's hard to teach them in symbols. And I don't think I fully grasped as a child all the ways that Santa was like the Savior. But I hope that if we approach it that way, some of the truth will make its way through. And maybe as they grow up, they'll understand the symbols better.

In the meantime, I agree that Christmas is about following the Savior's example of giving love, kindness and service to those around us. I'm glad you shared your thoughts. Merry Christmas!

December 24, 2013 at 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home