This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://breannaolaveson.com

Redirecting to new site…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

4.02.2014

Putting Down Roots

We planted a garden the other day.

Well, we planted a sort-of garden. It's a few pots out on our patio. But since a 20-square foot patio is more of a yard than we've ever had, I'm working with what we've got.

Lyla LOVED watching me plant and get my hands dirty. She played in the dirt too, which I thought was fun and cute. We're working in the yard together! She's learning patience and a good work ethic! I thought proudly. I took her picture. I told her that if we were patient and gave the plants plenty of water, we'd be eating strawberries and tomatoes and cucumbers in no time.



That was at about 2 p.m. At about 5:30, Lyla left the dinner table and disappeared.

We thought she was in her room but I couldn't find her there. I checked Nora's room, our room, the bathrooms ... nothing. At about the time I started to panic I found her on the deck, a fistful of dirt in one hand and a cucumber plant in the other. She looked proud, like Look, mom! I'm planting a garden like you!

I can just feel a parable coming on. Can't you?

In the days since the cucumbers met their fate, I've been trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to nurse them back to health. Because she pulled them up at the roots, it's been slow going.

She also nearly loved the tomato plant to death, though with less fervor. She left the plant itself alone, choosing instead to methodically remove every leaf and other sign of life. The roots remained intact.


I left the plants in the sun, watered them daily, loved them and kept the door to the patio locked. And wouldn't you know it? The tomato plant sprouted three new leaves yesterday.


I guess roots are more important than branches. Branches are persuadable. Roots control growth, gather food and water and give life the the plant. Roots replace damaged leaves.

Sometimes trying to teach these little girls how to have faith in Christ is like growing that tomato plant. It's hard to see results immediately, and I never know if what I'm doing is actually settling in.

But yesterday, when Lyla pointed to a painting in our house and said, "Jesus," then folded her arms reverently, I realized I might be getting through to her. A small sign of success, like those little leaves.

I know as she grows there will be hard times. The wind will blow and people will come along that will damage her branches and pull off her leaves. But for now, I'll keep putting down roots. That way, I hope, those leaves will always, always grow back.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sadie Lynn said...

so sweet! I know you are an amazing mom Bre! Good luck with the garden. It looks so good!

April 3, 2014 at 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home